Thursday, February 21, 2013

Starting Over

One of my favorite songs ever - I mean like of all time, ever, in the whole universe of songs that will ever exist ever - one of my favorites is, "Start Over Again" by Addison Road. Addison Road is more famous for other songs - all of which I love. But "Starting Over Again" is very special to me. There are songs that I believe with my whole heart that God wrote just for me. I know, that sounds narcisistic. Knowing is half the battle, right? But seriously, that song was written for me.

I bet you can guess what it's about, too. That's right. Starting Over. But there are lines that just resonate so true with me. And as I was listening to it in the car for the billionth time this week, my physical body's reaction to the truth in those lines was drawing quite a bit of attention from the cars around me. I look nothing less than psychotic. But I can't help it. I need to hear those words. I need to sing them. I love hearing them, and feeling them, and experiencing them in song form.

Here is my favorite part:

You can't change what you've done.
But you can choose who you'll become

Then it goes:
You don't have to be who you've been,
You can change within
It's never to late - to start over again.

The Message translates Ephesians Ch 1 like this: "How blessed is God! And what a blessing He is! He's the Father of our Master, Jesus Christ, and takes us to the high places of blessing in Him. Long before he laid down earth's foundations, he had us in mind, had settled on us as the focus of His love, to be made whole and holy by his love. Long, long ago he decided to adopt us into His family through Jesus Christ (What pleasure He took in planning this!) He wanted us to enter into the celebration of His lavish gift-giving by the hand of His beloved Son. Because of the sacrifice of the Messiah, his blood poured out on the alter of the Cross, we're a free people - free of penalties and punishments chalked up by all of our misdeeds. And not just barely free, either. Abundantly free! He thought of everything, provided for everything we could possibly need, letting us in on the plans he took such delight in making."

God chose you "long before he laid down earth's foundations." Do you understand that? Can you take that in? That is why it is never too late for you to start over. Not just because God is mighty to save, or willing to forgive. But because He has loved you before there even was a you. Before He started to knit you together in your mother's womb, you were chosen. God chose you to be made whole and holy by His love. It is never too late for you to start over because God knew you and where you would be starting from the entire time.

So, start over again. Choose God. Accept the abundant freedom that He offers. Don't think that there is anything that you have done that would preclude you from what He has already chosen for you. His love for you started before there was a creation to love. He is waiting. Come meet Him at the foot of His cross and accept the lavish gift of His Son. It's never too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment